Thursday, April 22, 2010

EARTH DAY

The best part of homeschooling is the ability to take time to do things when you want to :) All week long we have been talking about our Earth and celebrating the fact that it is Earth Week. We were at the park recently and the tennis court had about 15 empty soda and water bottles all around it. I encouraged the boys to help me gather them up and put them in the barrel that was RIGHT THERE!! They didn't want to at first but after they did it and looked at the park again, they were very pleased with how much better "they" made it look. Ever since, we have been picking up any trash we see laying on the ground. Yesterday we went around to several of the parks here in town and I'm pleased to say that most of them were very well kept. We did find a bunch of cans in one of them though and we collected them up to take to The Disney Store this morning. If you brought in 6 cans or water bottles, they gave you a Make A Wave hat. We all brought in 6 cans and each got a hat (they are youth sized so I won't get much wear out of mine).. They had their aluminum water bottles on sale too so we each got one to save on buying water bottles. Austin and I got Save Planet Earth with my favorite LGM from Toy STory on it and Andy and daddy got Muppets. They are awesome!! The water stays cold in them forever too!!

When I got home this afternoon, I also found out that I won an Earth Day Contest and we won another hat like we got today and a Make A Wave T-shirt, both signed by Demi Lovato and Joe Jonas. We're thinking we will display them in our Disney Room at our new house..

I hope that this Earth Day everyone was inspired to Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle - I will quote the Grateful Dead (one of my most favorite bands) here and say, The future's here, we are it, we are on our own!!! Happy Earth Day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment